Peterbilt is leading the medium and heavy-duty truck industry in innovation with our advanced technologies and world-class team. These technologies will increase customer productivity and reduce our emissions footprint, and we take pride in the quality of our products and everything we do. We function in a highly collaborative and diverse environment. At Peterbilt, our people are our strength, so we offer competitive pay and benefits within the industry as well as many opportunities for growth.
Peterbilt is a division of PACCAR Inc., a Fortune 500 global leader in quality and innovation.
The Chief Designer is the manager responsible for overseeing the daily activities and operation of the Industrial Design Group. Provides leadership and supervision of department resources and directs all product design within the Industrial Design Department. Closely collaborates with the Digital Modeling and the Modeling Studio Staff to ensure the design intent is captured in digital models and physical model properties through all phases of the design and product creation process. The Design Manager reports to the Director of Design.
The responsibilities of the Chief Designer include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead in the creation and implementation of innovative design solutions for future and current truck exterior and interior designs
- Demonstrated leadership to inspire a team of creative staff, developing their strengths and weaknesses, setting the pace, and being willing to push the boundaries as appropriate to develop the staff’s skills and promote a healthy work environment
- Knowledge and expertise to execute multiple programs and projects from concept through surface release and production implementation
- Provide design direction of product concepts and theme development through daily interaction with Department Staff
- Develop and effectively manage the scheduling for projects including efficient & timely completion. Assess project priorities and adjust assignments as necessary to maintain project objectives
- Work jointly with studio designers, modelers, product planners and engineering to achieve the stated goals, and promoting clear and concise communication about project deliverables and timelines ensuring milestones are met
- Be able to communicate design concepts through sketches and renderings and make formal presentations to Executive Level Management and internal and external customers. Prepares product concept reviews with Design Director for theme approvals
- Provide design direction as necessary to follow up the development of 3D CAD and scale models of design theme(s) to ensure a high level of surface refinement and quality of design
- Prepare activity status reports and detailed reporting as required
- Demonstrate professional and successful communication skills (verbal/written/visual) with strong and effective interpersonal abilities
- Able to identify, prioritize, and coordinate the resolution of design feasibility between Industrial Design and Engineering Groups
- Requires a proactive approach to defining issues and forcing early resolution and consensus
- Foster a creative and innovative culture internally and externally. Seek professional growth and development of Department staff
- Remain abreast of automotive and industry trends and technologies to enhance a competitive advantage
- BS, BA or BFA in Industrial Design or Transportation Design required
- Minimum of ten years of professional production vehicle design experience required
- Minimum of three years of Industrial Design supervision experience required
- Exceptionally creative, highly motivated and team-oriented. Demonstrate ability to handle multiple tasks
- Strong leadership skills and mentoring others. Foster a creative and innovative culture internally and externally.
- Skilled use of Alias and/or Rhino, Gravity Sketch, VRED and Photoshop or equivalent software are required
- Experience and use of Virtual Reality/Mixed Reality is strongly preferred
As a U.S. PACCAR employee, you have a full range of benefit options including:
- 401k with up to a 5% company match
- A fully funded pension plan that provides monthly benefits after retirement
- Comprehensive paid time off – minimum of 10 paid vacation days (additional days are provided with additional seniority/years of service), 12 paid holidays, and sick time
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
- Medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your family
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA)
- Paid short-and long-term disability programs
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- EAP services including wellness plans, estate planning, financial counseling and more
Additional Job Board Information
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability corporation. Peterbilt promotes Diversity and Inclusion through mentorship, events, and affinity support groups – The Diversity Council, Peterbilt Women’s Initiative (PBWin), Veterans Group, Peterbilt Black Organization for Leadership and Development (B.O.L.D), and ADVOCATE (An LGBTQ support group).
Error: Video not found Uh oh! There should be a video here. Try changing your cookie settings for this website if you want to see the video.